How to make a complaint about a dentist

Learn more about making a complaint if you are the victim of substandard dental work below. Get in touch today to make a No Win No Fee* dental negligence compensation claim.

Patient at dentist in painCases of dental negligence are more common in the UK than you might think, and many victims consider complaining about their dentist when they receive poor treatment.

It is important to lodge a complaint as this can not only make sure that other patients suffer in the same way, it can also help them make a claim for compensation and receive the financial support they are entitled to in order to recover from their injury and get back to normal life.

A lot of victims are put off making a complaint as the process can seem overly complicated, with a few different options available on how to make a complaint. That's why we've put together this quick guide so you decide the best course of action depending on your complaint.

To learn more about how we can help you make a claim, get in touch today

Complain directly to your dentist

If you have received poor treatment then the first step is to complain to your dentist directly, or contact the practice manager and raise the complaint with them.

If the treatment was on the NHS, then your dentist has a duty to follow the NHS complaints procedure. If you received private dental treatment then the dental practice will have its own complaints procedure that should be followed.

If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint is dealt with, then you can escalate it to the Dental Complaints Service who can help with assisting complaints against a private dentist.

Learn more about making a No Win No Fee* NHS negligence claim

General Dental Council complaints

The General Dental Council, or GDC, is the organisation that regulates all dental care professionals in the UK. This includes dentists, clinical dental technicians, dental therapists and orthodontists as well as dental nurses and hygienists.

To operate in the UK, all dentists and dental professionals must be registered with the GDC, who can take action if their ability or behaviour means they are not able to provide a safe service.

Patients can also make complaints to the GDC if they think their dentist is not registered and is operating illegally in the UK.

Visit the General Dental Council website for more information

Make a claim for compensation

If the poor dental treatment you received leads to you suffering severe pain as well as financial losses such as further treatment costs and loss of earnings, then you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

To find out whether you are eligible to make a claim, get in touch with our expert solicitors today on 0151 440 2500 or fill out our quick contact form to request a call back.


*No win no fee means that you will not be charged if your claim is unsuccessful. If successful, we often charge a success fee that is deducted from the compensation recovered but is capped at a maximum of 25% of the compensation. Termination fees may apply if you breach your retainer.

Contact Info

CL Legal Limited
Horton House
Exchange Flags
L2 3PF

0151 440 2500

CL Legal Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (Registered Number 08105781) which is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - SRA Number 573700