Accident abroad compensation claims

Our specialist No Win, No Fee solicitors can help you make a compensation claim if you are injured following an accident abroad.


No Win No Fee*

We work on a No Win No Fee* basis, so if you're claim is not successful you don't pay anything.

Find out if you are eligible to make a claim for compensation below...

A guide to making an accident abroad compensation claim

If you have an accident in a different country that was not your fault, and suffer an injury as a result, then you could be entitled to make a compensation claim.

An accident while on holiday could include slipping or tripping on poorly signed wet floors or on uneven pavements. It could also include falling ill after eating at a particular restaurant or after visiting a certain local attraction (swimming pools etc…).

Whatever the cause, if your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence then you could be entitled to claim compensation.

These cases can often be quite complicated due to possible language barriers but our dedicated team at CL Legal will be able to assist with you making a No Win No Fee* claim for compensation if your accident or illness occurred through no fault of your own.


  • Examples of accidents abroad
  • What to do if you have been involved in an accident abroad
  • Am I eligible to make an accident abroad claim?
  • How to make a claim

No Win, No Fee*

Get in touch...

0151 440 2500

Examples of accidents abroad

The type and severity of accidents that happen while on holiday can vary, with some of the most common being:

  • Slips, Trips and Falls
  • Road Traffic Accidents
  • Injures suffered as a result of Sporting Activities
  • Food Poisoning Claims

What to do if you have been involved in an accident abroad

Unlike suffering an accident and injury in the UK, an accident abroad can be a lot more distressing as you are in an unfamiliar place and often don’t speak the same language as the emergency services, hospital staff etc…

However, it’s important to follow the same steps as you would if you had an accident in the UK – particularly:

  • Report the accident to your Travel Representative
  • Seek medical treatment for your injuries at the nearest medical facility
  • Take photographs of the area where your accident happened
  • Are there any witnesses to the accident? Obtain their contact details.
  • Keep receipts/details of all out of pocket expense you have incurred as a direct result of this accident e.g. loss of earnings/medical costs/prescription charges/damaged clothing etc.

Am I eligible to make an accident abroad claim?

If the accident that caused your injury was due to the negligence of another party, then you could be entitled make a claim for compensation. See more: What is negligence?

The most important aspect of accidents abroad is who exactly you make the claim against. For example, if your holiday was booked through a travel company or tour operator, then the claim could made against them.

However, if the accident happened on an independent holiday then the claim could be made against the hotel, or individual restaurant or even the local authority if the accident involved a slip or trip or something similar.

We’ve outlined some of the key points about both types of accident abroad claim below…

Injured while on a package holiday

If your holiday was part of a package deal and the cause of the accident can be attributed to your travel agent/their representative, then you are entitled to pursue a claim against the travel agent.

In this case your holiday must have been part of a package deal via the travel agent and the injury must be the fault (wholly or partly) of the travel agent, in that they failed in their duty of care towards you.

For example, if your injury was caused by tripping or slipping on a poorly maintained part of the hotel or you contract food poisoning after eating at the hotel restaurant, then you can make a claim for compensation against the travel agent as they are the ones who booked the hotel for you.

Your travel agent would also be liable if you have an accident while travelling to and from your destination, as well as during any sightseeing activities or other tours that formed a part of your overall holiday package.

It should be stressed that in order for the travel agent to be held liable then the accident has to have occurred during an activity they organised and booked for you. If you are on a package holiday and have an accident during an activity that wasn’t provided by the travel agent, then they have no obligation to payout any compensation.

Injured while on an independent holiday

In contrast, if you booked your holiday yourself then making a compensation claim for an injury sustained abroad involves a different approach.

In this instance your claim will be made against whoever was directly at fault for the accident. If you have an accident at your hotel, for example, then the claim can be made against the hotel if it can be proven that they were at fault.

If the accident happened in public e.g. you tripped on pavement, then the claim for compensation can be made against the organisation or local authority responsible for the general upkeep and safety of that particular area.

A common form of accident abroad is one that happens during sporting activity i.e. jetski accidents, skiing/snowboarding accidents etc… In these cases whether you are entitled to make a claim would depend on the nature of the sport and the terms and conditions you sign up to when arranging the activity.

How to make a claim

Contact us and one of our dedicated Solicitors will be able to guide you through the legal process from start to finish with the least disruption to you.

Please note that strict time frames apply when making any personal injury claim so time is of the essence. This is especially true of accidents abroad as different time frames may apply depending on where your accident happened.

Your case will be dealt with on a No Win No Fee* Basis - meaning you pay nothing if your claim is unsuccessful

No Win, No Fee*

Get in touch...

0151 440 2500

No Win No Fee*

We work on a No Win No Fee* basis, so if you're claim is not successful you don't pay anything.

Find out if you are eligible to make a claim for compensation below...

*No win no fee means that you will not be charged if your claim is unsuccessful. If successful, we often charge a success fee that is deducted from the compensation recovered but is capped at a maximum of 25% of the compensation. Termination fees may apply if you breach your retainer.

Contact Info

CL Legal Limited
Horton House
Exchange Flags
L2 3PF

0151 440 2500

CL Legal Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (Registered Number 08105781) which is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - SRA Number 573700