Firefighters compensated for sickness caused by polluted Training Centre

Firefighters compensated for sickness caused by polluted Training Centre 66 firefighters awarded compensation after falling sick following flood training. Members of the Fire Brigade Union (FBU) from around the UK have been awarded compensation after flood rescue training left them with stomach sickness. The training sessions took place at the National Watersports Centre in Nottingham between 2008 and 2012 after the UK government required all fire brigades to undertake ‘Swift Water Rescue Training’ in response to widespread flooding across the UK. Several different fire brigades sent firefighters to take part in the training at Nottingham’s National Watersports Centre, which was able to replicate the fast-flowing water conditions of floods. However, the water at the centre comes from the River Trent – a polluted water source that was found to contain harmful pathogens and bacteria. Due to the physically demanding nature of the training, many of the firefighters ingested the infected water, which caused them to suffer from diarrhoea and sickness. Nearly all of the firefighters fell ill following the training, which led to the FBU to instruct personal injury solicitors to investigate the claims. The solicitors found that the water at the National Watersports Centre posed a public health risk and…

Man awarded compensation after contracting cancer due to being exposed to asbestos

Man awarded compensation after contracting cancer due to being exposed to asbestos A 64-year-old man has been awarded £245,000 in compensation after he was exposed to asbestos and developed mesothelioma. In July 2014 whilst on holiday in Cyprus, the man began having breathing difficulties and on his return he saw his GP. A scan showed that one of his lungs were filled with fluid. This was drained and he was sent for a biopsy. When he received the results in December 2014, it was confirmed that the gentleman had asbestos-related cancer, mesothelioma. As a member of the Unite Union, he contacted Unite Legal Services, who got in touch with personal injury solicitors and they were asked to make a claim on the man’s behalf. An investigation was then carried out to identify when he was exposed to asbestos. The father of two began working for a rail company in 1966 as a trainee cleaner and fireman. He was responsible for delivering correspondence to teams around the train depot. He also had the task of cleaning out the train maintenance shed on a regular basis. After his training, the gentleman was promoted to fireman and worked on the footplates of the trains.…